Past Clinic and Events - Highlights of 2010-2011
What a great year the APP had in the 2010-2011 season. The six Mid-Winter Clinics were an overwhelming success and the 2011 Spring Clinic at Alpine Meadows was epic! Let's recap:
- Even before the Clinics were underway, the APP Board was busy promoting the organization at the annual International Snow Science Workshop (ISSW) at Squaw Valley USA. APP had a booth, sold APP swag, distributed a Special Edition Newsletter created for this workshop and recruited many new members into the organization.
- The first Mid-Winter Clinic was a great success, which kicked off on Friday February 11th with a behind the scene tour of the Mammoth Mountain. The fun continued on Saturday and Sunday February 12th and 13th with a great Clinic at June Mountain.
- There was no rest for the wicked who then traveled onto Bend Oregon to participate in the Mt. Bachelor Mid-Winter Clinic. This Clinic broke participation records, even with epic snow which dumped nonstop EVERY day from Tuesday February 15th through Thursday the 17th.
- APP Sponsored an Avalanche Class at Stevens Pass from February 28th through March 3rd 2011.
- March 2nd and 3rd was a great time had by all at Red River Ski Area in north east New Mexico.
- Northstar in North Lake Tahoe hosted a joint APP Mid-Winter Clinic and NSP Far West Division Conference. What a great opportunity to promote APP to the NSP membership on March 12th and 13th.
- Once again, the APP groupies had to rush down to China Peak in Central California, nestled in the Sierras, for a great clinic from March 14th through the 16th.
- 2011 marks the third year of a very positive partnership with the David Pettigrew Memorial Foundation (DPMF). David Pettigrew lost his life in a snowboarding accident in 2005. Since 2008, the APP & the Foundation have been conducting safety, rescue and avalanche awareness workshops in the Paciﬁc North West. Last year's workshops were well attended by hundreds of individuals attending free classes of safety education and instruction. APP is proud of its partnership with DPMF and is grateful for their support of the APP's Scholarship Program.
- The icing on the cake was the Spring Clinic held at Alpine Meadows in beautiful Lake Tahoe from April 26th through the 29th. In addition to the written tests, practical tests and amazing skiing/boarding/telemarking, the APP also hosted a patrol director's forum, a women's forum, a Risk Management Forum, the annual APP Film Festival, mixers, receptions, an evening BBQ and the unveiling of a tribute film to a long time APP member, Gus Johnson. The Clinic peaked at the Thursday evening presentation by Doug Robinson, legendary climber and back country skier.
2010-2011 was a fantastic season and thanks to all who sponsored, assisted and participated in APP Clinics and events. We look forward to 2012!